Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What the Fudge? When Your Kiddo Experiments With Language Boundaries

  What would you do if your normally G rated child suddenly let loose with the mother of all curse words? Yup. You guessed it. My sweet, darling princess just dropped the f-bomb on us. I hear when most kids first try out cursing they start with an occasional hell or shit. Not my princess. Nope. Too mundane and beneath her. She goes straight for the mother of all curse words.
As parents, we try not to let any expletives slip in front of the kids. Mostly because it's easier to ask them not to say them if they aren't hearing them all the time. So, although I am not perfect, in general, if my kids are hearing foul language, it's more likely that they heard it from another kid on the playground or from walking into the room during an inappropriate movie. Shrug. It happens. When I was a child of approximately 5, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the very R rated “Terminator” and survived. Generally, I do try to protect their innocence if possible, but even network television has gotten pretty risque in this day and age. No matter how hard you try, kids are going to hear and see things that you'd rather they didn't. I try not to beat myself up about it.
So, what was my reaction when my 9 year old dashed in and told me that my 6 year old had dropped her little bomb? Well, of course, I was initially a little surprised. I mean... Where did she hear that word of all the words? I'm pretty confident it wasn't from my husband or I either one. On the other hand, we live in a military town, and most of the people I know here are not particularly careful with their language. It was bound to be added to her vocabulary eventually. So, after asking her to tell me what she said, then where she heard it, and not getting an answer, I decided to take the intellectual approach.
You know what kids love more than anything else? Doing the thing that is forbidden. True story. So, it follows that if I go off the deep end about foul language, which, let's face it, is kind of a right of passage at some point in the journey from child to adult, what do you think is going to seem all the more appealing? Instead, I asked my daughter why she thought I didn't want her to say those types of words. Her response was probably typical. She answered, “Because it's a bad word?” I had to smile as she'd walked neatly into my trap. “No,” I said, “There's no such thing a good words and bad words. Words are just words. The problem is that while there's no such thing as bad words, there are hurtful words, there are unkind words, and there are rude words.” I had her attention now, so I continued, “The word you said is considered really rude by most people. If you want people to think you're rude, than that word is one that is pretty sure to make them think that. The other issue is that words like that? Those words are words that people say when they are frustrated or trying to be mean , usually because they can't think of something more intelligent to say. When you use those words, what you're telling everyone around you is that you aren't smart enough to think of something clever to say instead. Do you want to present yourself as someone who isn't smart enough to say anything besides rude or unkind words?” Of course, her response was negative. No one wants to be perceived as less than intelligent. I went on to explain that I wasn't angry, but she has a choice about how she wants to present herself. I, of course, would prefer that she obey our house rules and use kind words. For now, she would, too. I'm sure this is the first of many discussions about language.

So, now I ask again, how would you have handled this situation? Do you censor your language in front of your kids? Do you think assigning the name “bad words” gives the behavior power? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.  

1 comment:

  1. 小可愛視訊-真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
    ut聊天室視訊-真人裸聊秀場
    小可愛視訊聊天室-裸聊直播間
    美女視訊影音-真愛旅舍聊天室破解
    視訊聊天交友-美女裸聊視頻直播間
    視訊美女-做愛裸聊室
    173免費視訊-視頻真人秀聊天室福利
    金瓶梅視訊-293真人秀場聊天室
    live173影音視訊live秀-台灣uu視頻聊天室
    live173影音live秀-免費視訊-uu視頻聊天室
    美女聊天室哪個好美女主播聊天室ut聊天室美女上善若水天天色綜合網電影後宮電電影首頁
    同城異性寂寞交友網同城異性一夜交友q全球視頻聊天室人妻小說線上看歐美毛片後宮電影
    網絡色情視頻聊天室直播聖魔聊天室漾美眉破解色色倫理電影愛愛成人色情網後宮電影院
    色情視頻聊天室SM聖魔聊天室線上性聊天網毛片網頻道綠色成人電影歐美快播毛片洪爺網址
    真人秀聊天視頻網站美女裸體視頻聊天網站午夜影院擼白金性感岳母的誘惑小說洪爺網站電影
    高清裸體柔術美女視頻高清裸體美女桌面壁紙愛毛片成人電影網成人毛片洪爺網站 影片
    真人表演秀視頻聊天室性話題網聊女的QQ記錄網絡聊天室三級毛片在線觀看黃色毛片洪爺網站
    真人免費視頻聊天室真人視頻聊天室哪個好快播成人片3級大片快播色情片毛片網站洪爺影城
    免費視頻交友真人秀免費真人視頻交友聊天網站性感內衣套裝女誘惑免費電影毛片洪爺的家
    漾美眉視訊交友破解漾美眉視訊交友漾美眉聊天室QVOD倫理電影快播色情片洪爺色區
    夫妻真人秀視頻網站免費視頻成人聊天快播下載免費毛片網址三級片電影洪爺網站 電影
    SE333午夜聊天室羅聊視頻觀看聊天室午夜秀房視頻聊天室韓國毛片網址打飛機用網站
    成人視頻直播聊天室聊天室你懂的成人三色網免費成人聊天室色片段高清在線觀看打飛機專用
    台灣一對一視頻聊天室免費同城聊天室網站歐美毛片網站大學生包養網打飛機專用網
    夫妻真人秀聊天室免費寂寞交友聊天室網上裸聊充值是真的嗎日本三級電影毛片打飛機
    真愛旅社真愛旅舍聊天室破解真愛旅舍破解有午夜劇場的電影網黃色片網址85st免費線上看片
    95美女秀95美女秀電腦版美女秀視頻社區免費夫妻交友聊天室倫理電影網在線觀看85小說網
    台灣色情視訊聊天視訊聊天室破解版日本視訊聊天室日本倫理電影在線觀看85st街影城85cc
    台灣真愛旅舍聊天室台灣麗人聊天室破解裸聊視頻qvodav日本電影85st影城舊新版
    色情艷舞聊天室愛聊天室夫妻秀聊天室免費毛片網站日本毛片網站毛片綜合網85街免費影片
    夫妻網聊天室真人聊天室跳舞吧裸聊網倫理午夜電影在線直播女生毛片網85 st影城街st
    真人聊天室跳舞吧高清絲襪美腿視頻UT聊天高清毛片快播倫理電影成人AV毛片85街論壇
    成年人性網站視頻免費視頻直播聊天室成人真愛旅舍免費成人電影網毛片下載85論壇

    ReplyDelete